Obedience can be the problem
History has repeatedly shown, that in all societies, the real wealth and power lies with the top 1% to 2% of the population called the ruling elite.
No matter what form of government is in power, the ruling elite always calls the shots for they wish to conserve their privileges and power. That is why these people are called "conservatives"
The ruling elite never like to get their hands dirty, or actually be bothered with details. So they have set up institutions whose power they control indirectly. Each institution has a different role to play , but the net objective is the same, protect the powerful and wealthy to preserve and enhance their power and privileges.
Institutions may differ in style but they all possess one common theme, obedience. They demand obedience, but rarely do people ask obedience to whom, to what and why?
The technique employed is indoctrination, keep the message simple, repeat and reinforce it often.
- The home is the place where the indoctrinated elders live with the young, so parents pass on the same sense of blind obedience to their children, which helps them to control the young.
- The priests (self appointed God's representatives), tell you it is God's will so you must obey blindly.
- To politicians (supposedly our chosen representatives), tell you that they are chosen by the masses, the vast majority to lead, so you must obey them.
- To government officials (supposedly caretakers of the nation and society), so you must obey all the million laws, rules, procedures that they constantly issue.
- To police (caretaker of our physical safety),
- To employers (providers of the means to exist), they own you, because they pay you
There is always a conflict between nature and culture.
Nature is wild, spontaneous and unpredictable. Culture is controlled, sedate, and highly predictable.
In culture as society is often called, the people in power (usually top 1% of population) demand that things remain the same. They need control of events as they unfold, so they seek programable situations and obedient people.
The need for obedience by leaders is not born out of the welfare of people but to make them managable.
No doubt, without obedience there will be only disorder and chaos. However obedience born out of social programming aligned to a particular power group produces only zombies and mobs, which are dangerously manipulated.
Remember those that can you believe in absurdities can also make you commit atrocities.
Because they are more in tune with existence, intellectually and spiritually evolved persons alone rather than obedient zombies that can help build a better world and humanity.
It may be a good time to question what we believe in and why?