Skip to main content

I am disappointed by our conversation.



My family and I built up a rather large and highly reputed automotive components manufacturing business. In the early years our dependence on the domestic market and a few key customers made us vulnerable to cyclic demand which had bad consequences for our organisation.

So we began to explore export markets.
One day in 1984, thanks to the Chamber of Commerce, we hosted a small delegation of prospective American buyers. At dinner that evening, me a very young man, tried rather too hard to impress a very senior, highly experienced delegate, Ms. Helen about our capabilities as an organisation and me as an individual.


We chatted for quite a while about a wide range of matters, and I sprinkled our conversation with American business jargon. 

After about an hour, Helen who was a senior executive in her organisation, asked me. "Apparently you are well informed GS, from where are you getting all this information and these perspectives?"
With my chest puffed up , I replied that I read all the top American magazines in routine, including Time magazine, Business Week, Forbes etc. 

Helen responded "That kind of figures. You sound just like people back home"
I thought Helen was paying me a compliment, but it was not, as I soon discovered.




She asked me, "Don't you have any Indian perspectives, you know, information, philosophies and views that are Indian? 

Do you think, I travelled half way around the world to come to listen to an Indian Industrialist who thinks and sounds just like an American?"

"Rather than merely correspond, I chose to come to India personally, with a hope to understand and experience the depths and greatness of an ancient civilisational culture and people. I am convinced, many of you are still trapped in a Colonised mindset."

"Unfortunately you are all thinking and acting just like Americans without being American. 
You can be at best be a second or third grade American clone. 

Why don't you think about and aspire to being a great Indian individual and organisation? When will you stop following, and start leading?"

"GS, I am sorry to tell you that I am  disappointed by our conversation. From our interaction, I learnt very little that was new or refreshing. 

Now if you will excuse me, I need to find someone else to converse with."

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
That really hurt.  Her statements were brutally honest, as is a typical American trait. I was not only crestfallen, I was devastated, I wanted to strangle Helen.

Helen's opinion and harsh comments haunted me for months, before I realised that there was great merit in what she told me.  Though I never interacted with Helen again in my life, I remember her often and always with gratitude, for she positively changed my perspective on life for ever.



Rather than be a first class copy of someone else, I have focussed on understanding myself and my world. By being true and honest with myself, I have tasted great rewards professionally, socially and spiritually. 

____________________________________

About Gurvinder Singh

Post a comment on my website
Engage with Gurvinder Singh

Facebook - Twitter - linkedin - SikhNet - Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Office Efficiency - Central Social Institution, Prague, 1937

The offices of the Central Social Institution of  Prague,  Czechoslovakia. April 1937 “The offices of the Central Social Institution of Prague, Czechoslovakia with the largest vertical letter file in the world. Consisting of cabinets arranged from floor to ceiling tiers covering over 4000 square feet containing over 3000 drawers 10 feet long. It has electric operated elevator desks which rise, fall and move left or right at the push of a button. to stop just before drawer desired. The drawers also open and close electronically. Thus work which formerly taxed 400 workers is now done by 20 with a minimum of effort. Ref: B196_095071_3660 Date: 26.04.1937 Compulsory Credit: UPPA/Photoshot”

How a Polish Potato Farmer prevented World War III

  On 15 November 2022, a Ukrainian S-300 air defence missile struck a farm in the sleepy Polish village of Przewodów (population of 413) near the border with Ukraine and Belarus. NATO, the governments and media in the collective West immediately claimed it as an attack on Poland by Russia. Ukrainian President Zelensky and Polish president Andrzej Duda demanded an immediate emergency meeting to invoke article 5 of NATO's charter. This clause obliges NATO members to militarily support and join any country attacked by a non NATO country, in this case it was alleged to be Russia. When photographic and video images appeared on the internet posted by a local potato farmer on the site, it was clear to see that the wreckage which killed two farmers was a Soviet made S-300 air defence missile manufactured in early 1980s and currently being used by the Ukrainian forces. Some very disturbing questions arise, and demonstrates why Zelensky and his coterie and his Polish parters are so dangerous